If you are building or renovating it is more than likely that you will need Sydney Water Corporation (SWC) approval. This requirement will be outlined in your DA letter from your Council, your Complying Certificate paperwork, or check with your Certifier. The process is called Sydney Water Building Plan Approval.
To enable you to go ahead with your proposed building work you will need Sydney Water Building Plan Approval.
Sydney Water will need to check your plans to ensure your new building will not damage any Sydney Water structure (like a sewer, lamp hole, manhole etc) which maybe located on or near your property. To check your plans you will need to submit your plans online to Sydney Water via their Tap in service and select Building Plan Approval. Either you can do this yourself or MGP can complete the Tap in application on your behalf.
The Tap In service will either approve your plans immediately or if they believe the proposed works will have an impact on their assets they will refer to you see a Sydney Water Water Servicing Coordinator (WSC), like MGP, for further review, advice and additional costs.
The Standard Process:
Additional Stage - Out of Scope Approval
- Out of Scope Approval is an additional step to the approval process when you are building;
- Near or over a non-pipe sewer infrastructure (eg tunnel, oviform) over 300mm
- Any water or recycled water pipe
- Any ventshaft
- Proposed works on land with a Sydney Water easement
- Proposed works on land with Sydney Water owned stormwater infrastructure within 10m of the property boundary
- Construction of a retaining wall over 1 metre
- Any basement excavation deeper than 3m (and construction works) over or adjacent to a Sydney Water asset including any works resulting in anchors within or through the zone of influence of the Sydney Water asset
- Any dewatering
With an Out of Scope application we will need to submit the Service Protection Report, final architectural and structural plans to Sydney Water for assessment and approval. Depending on the Sydney Water asset and proposed building works additional documentation may be required (for example Geotechnical Report, Specialist Engineering Assessment, CCTV of asset etc). The mgp team will provide advice on the requirements. This process can take up to 8-10 weeks from submission.
If you have any further queries please call our office on 9451 7555.