Contact MGP

Popular Questions & Answers
I need to get hold of Sydney Water.

If your enquiry is not regarding MGP helping you with Building Plan Approval or Section 73 then please call Sydney Water on 132 090.

What do I need to do if I am considering building / renovating; new home; alternations and additions to an existing home; second storey addition/extension; garden shed; swimming pool; timber deck; water tank; Onsite Detention Tank (OSD); fence; garage; carport; granny flat; pergola; retaining wall.

Firstly, check building and zoning regulations with your local council. You will usually require Sydney Water Building Plan Approval to commence work. We recommend finding out what Sydney Water services are on or near your property and may be impacted by what you’re proposing to do. This is called a Peg Out or Service Protection Report. Click here for more details. (Link to Peg Out page). If you have an approved DA or CDC, then complete the Sydney Water Tap In application. If you’re referred to see a Water Servicing Coordinator, then contact our team.

Why do I need a Building Plan Approval?

If you are building or renovating you may need Sydney Water approval if it is near or over Sydney Water assets (pipes, sewer, manhole etc). Sydney Water will need to check your plans to ensure your new building will not damage any Sydney Water structure located on your property. To check your plans, you will need to go online at Sydney Water Tap In.

What is Sydney Water Tap In?

Sydney Water Tap in (Tap in) is a service that will enable you to request Sydney Water services, for example connections, Building Plan Approval, diagrams etc, via the internet, 24 hours, 7 days a week.

What is the Sydney Water Tap In Building Plan Approval process?

Either MGP can undertake the assessment on your behalf, or you will need to register, select the Building Plan Approval function and draw your plans into the system and submit a copy of your plans. 

The Tap In service will either approve your plans immediately or if they believe the proposed works will have an impact on their assets, they will provide you with a referral letter and advise you to see a Water Service Co-ordinator (WSC), like MGP, for further review, advice and additional costs.

If my plans impact a Sydney Water asset (pipes, sewer, manhole etc) what do I need to do?

You will be required to contact an accredited Water Service Coordinator (WSC). MGP is an accredited WSC. We will assess your plans and determine if any special requirements are needed so that you can get your building plans stamped and work can commence. Depending on the complexity of the project you will need to allow anywhere between 2 – 14 weeks for processing and approval.

What do I do if I have built over/near a Sydney Water asset and I didn’t get approval, and now I have been asked to obtain this?

You will need to get Retrospective Building Plan Approval. Contact our Building Plan Approval team and they will guide you through this ‘Nonstandard Out of Scope’ process.

Does MGP complete Council flood water management / stormwater / overland flow reports?
Send your project details to and one of the team will provide you with some advice.